Welcome

Welcome to my music webpage!

My love of folk music began with my playing music with the Seeger family when I went to their summer camp in Vermont as a child. From there, I began to expand my repertoire, and added songs from Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Hank Williams, Kate Wolf and many others too numerous to name. After playing many venues New York, I relocated to the West Coast for several years and continued my passion for performing there. I recently moved back to my hometown of NYC, and am enjoying reconnecting with my folk roots here.

Thank you for visiting my page and I hope you enjoy it!

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Circle Game


I took this shot on the beach in Santa Cruz.   .
In 1968, I saw Joni Mitchell live for the first time. She was playing in the Village in NYC in a special concert that was put together shortly after Martin Luther King was assassinated. 1968 was going to be a horribly traumatic year, with the riots after King's murder and the assassination of Robert Kennedy only a few months after we lost Rev King. This was quickly followed by the police riot at the 1968 Democratic National Convention, the election of  "tricky Dick" Nixon and his so-called "secret plan" to end the Vietnam War, which in reality meant escalation, the bombing of Cambodia and many more years of death destruction.  


But the night I saw Joni Mitchell in the village, we did not know the horror that was to come. Jimi Hendrix was on the bill with her, and I was front row center for both of them. Little did I know what I was in for. I learned how to tune to her turnings by watching her closely, and the chord formations for many of her early songs, including Circle Game in G tuning. Hendrix followed her amazing set, and it was shocking and exciting for me as a young teenager to watch him with no idea what to expect, as I had barely even heard of him at the time. He danced around the stage, made love to his guitar and the audience, and set fire to it when he was finished. I left the concert feeling both overwhelmed and exhilarated.

The clip of me singing Circle Game is from 1994 at a folk festival in the Santa Cruz mountains, where I was living at the time. Singing this song brings me back to those years long before I turned 20 (14 springs and 14 summers gone now...).

 I will never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment